Curriculum Design in GCOE Unit for Energy Science Education
Preparation of "Education Unit Overview and CO2 Zero Emission Education Program Course Syllabus”
Aiming for a full-scale start of the Education Unit and the CO2 Zero Emission Education Program from April 2009, the "Education Unit Overview and CO2 Zero Emission Education Program Course Syllabus" was prepared. The gist is as follows.
Kernel of "Education Unit Overview and CO2 Zero Emission Education Program Course Syllabus"
I．Registration for Education Unit
（1）Those eligible to register for the Education Unit
By registering to participate, the doctoral students who are enrolled in the following departments of the graduate schools can join this education unit while belonging to their current departments.
- ・Graduate School of Energy Science
- Department of Socio-Environmental Energy Science
- Department of Fundamental Energy Science
- Department of Energy Conversion Science
- Department of Energy Science and Technology
- ・Graduate School of Engineering
- Department of Nuclear Engineering
- Those who had signed up for this education unit will be eligible to be appointed as GCOE-RA.
- Those who had signed up for this education unit can receive grants for travelling expenses for research presentation
- As for those who signed up for this education program subject, “International Energy Seminar (Group Research)”, based on the research plan submitted by each group, the required research expenses will be supported, amounted to the maximum of 1.5 million yen a year per person.
III．CO2 Zero Emission Education Program
(1)Requirement for Completing the Education Program
Those who registered to join the Education Unit, and acquired the total of 14 credits and above from the following subjects within the course period will be certificated as graduates of the education program, and a completion certificate will be issued for each student.
- International Seminar on Energy Science I, II, III, IV (Including Group Research) (Each 2 credits, compulsory 4 credits, maximum 8 credits)
Cultivate international and comprehensive way of thinking and views.
- Advanced Research for CO2 Zero-Emission I, II (Each 1 credit, compulsory 2 credits) Cultivate creativity, and independence.
Field Practice (Compulsory 2 credits)
Dispatched to places that have tense relationship with the public such as nuclear power plants, and learn about the problems out in the field.
Research Presentation I，II，III（Each 1 credit, compulsory 1 credit, maximum 3 credits）
Research presentation at academic meetings.
Overseas Practical (1－4 credits)
Research or practical at International Institutions
- Classes in English (Half term: 2 credits, quarter term: 1 credit)
While enrolled in the doctoral program. Provided that course application for classes is done each year.
Conference Contributions of Students
A total of 69 of doctoral student were dispatched 35 of national and international conferences.
Five judges evaluated RA candidates using their application forms (blank form is shown in Table 3-2) based on the following evaluation points and the appointment was determined based on the 5 judges’ total scores. Especially the top candidates were appointed on special hourly unit price. A total of 19 RA were appointed (among these, 9 RAs were appointed based on the special hourly unit price).
Evaluation points: Each item carries 25 points full mark, and total 100 points full mark.
- Contribution to this GCOE program
- Academic importance and achievement in the concerned field
- Research prospects and comprehensive evaluation
- Research performance
(Concerning research performance, the grade (the number of years since starting the research) is considered)